While Hanauma Bay might be known for it’s outstanding snorkeling, it’s also the best swimming beach on this side of the island. Besides its outstanding facilities including food, lifeguards, snorkel rentals, and a shuttle service, this beach is a great place for swimmming.
Find your favorite pool at Hanauma Bay
As you look down on the bay, you’ll notice several natural pool areas which have shallow sandy bottoms, surrounded by explorable coral reefs. As you make your way down, target which areas you want to camp near. We usually pick the pool on the left side which is highlighted in our map.
Explore the edge
These natural pools make it easy to enjoy the water. Take your snorkel gear with you and after you’ve frolicked enough, dive down and explore the surrounding reef where you’ll see tons of fish. We enjoy doing it this way as the edge where reef meets sandy bottom pool has lots of interesting crevices to explore. You’ll have a blast.
Hanauma Bay gives free admission and that qualifies it as a free thing to do on Oahu. Don't miss it!
|< Prev||Next >|
Oahu Weather Now
Beach Gear Guide
Here’s what we tend to bring when planning a full day at the beach:
• Collapsable beach chairs
• Collapsable tent
• Large mat to place on sand, enough for 4-6 people to sit and eat.
• Water, food, and coolers. We love tuna sandwiches so we’ll typically mix up a bunch of tuna and mayo, store it in a container, and bring along a loaf of bread.
• Juice drinks (try Hawaiian Sun brand).
• Chips, nuts, trail mixes.
• Candy bars/nut bars.
• Big hats to shade the sun.
• UV rash guard shirts
• Waterproof sunscreen
• Snorkel gear
• Swimming goggles
• Two beach towels per person
• Change of dry clothes
• Plastic grocery bags (to store wet clothes)